In an era where sponsored content seems to be everywhere, and influencers demand payment even for podcast appearances, it’s easy to assume that earned media is dead and has little-to-no place in your company’s marketing and public relations strategies.
But when deployed strategically, earned media strategies can garner organic attention, trust, and credibility, which all help build a solid brand reputation that lasts.
With the rise of influencers whose online persona is their business, shrinking newsrooms, and more “content” arms of reputable publications working directly with brands, it often feels like every incoming opportunity is one that requires you to pay cash up front. But earned media – specifically media interviews as part of a story and earned speaking opportunities – is still one of the best strategies a brand can use to build something enduring.
Why Earned Media Can Still Work
Earned media is about creating a reputation that withstands the test of time. It’s about becoming a trusted resource for the media, so they turn to you when your expertise is needed. It’s a slow-burning, long-term strategy that builds upon itself over time.
The Benefits of Earned Media Strategies
Let’s delve into why earned media remains a powerful tool for B2B businesses, especially those in the cleantech and sustainability sector, like us here at Blue Practice:
- Credibility and Trust: Earned media, such as positive reviews, mentions in reputable publications, and stories that position your brand as the leader in a trend, can enhance your brand’s credibility and trustworthiness. Third-party validation from trusted sources is often more persuasive than self-promotion.
- Increased Brand Visibility: Earned media can significantly increase your brand’s visibility among your target audience. When your brand is featured in industry publications, social media shares, or news outlets, it can reach a broader audience than your owned media efforts alone.
- Thought Leadership: Earned media opportunities allow your brand to establish itself as a thought leader in your industry. By providing expert insights, participating in interviews, or contributing guest articles, you can showcase your industry expertise.
- Reach Target Audiences: Earned media can help you reach specific target audiences that may be more receptive to your message. Media outlets and influencers often have well-defined niche audiences that align with your B2B brand’s objectives.
- SEO Benefits: Earned media coverage can improve your search engine optimization (SEO). High-quality backlinks from reputable sources can boost your website’s search rankings, making it easier for potential customers to find you online.
- Lead Generation: Positive earned media can drive leads and inquiries from interested prospects. When your brand is featured in the media, it can prompt potential customers to seek more information about your products or services.
- Competitive Advantage: Earning media coverage can give you a competitive advantage by differentiating your brand from competitors. It can also help you stay top-of-mind in a crowded B2B market.
- Long-Term Impact: Earned media has the potential to have a lasting impact. Unlike paid advertising that stops when the budget runs out, earned media mentions and content can continue to drive results over time.
- Amplification of Owned Media: Earned media can complement your owned media efforts, such as your blog or social media channels. When you share earned media coverage on your owned platforms, it can amplify the reach and impact of the content.
- Crisis Management: In times of crisis or reputation management challenges, earned media can be a valuable tool for addressing concerns, clarifying facts, and mitigating damage.
- Relationship Building: Engaging with journalists, industry influencers, and stakeholders to earn media coverage can also help you build valuable relationships that can lead to future opportunities and partnerships.
Earned media strategies have a lot to offer B2B brands, especially those focused on cleantech and sustainability, like Blue Practice. It’s a path to credibility, visibility, cost-effective marketing, and enduring influence. So, the next time you’re considering your PR and marketing strategy, don’t underestimate the power of earned media. It’s not dead; it’s thriving, and it’s ready to work for you.
Ready to unlock the potential of earned media for your B2B business? Reach out to Blue Practice today and discover what a cohesive, comprehensive earned media strategy can do for your company. Your journey towards building a lasting platform for your positive solution starts here.